Today I’m sharing an easy vegan and gluten-free side dish that’s a bounty of vegetables – sauteed broccolini & kale. Vegan & gluten-free.
David and I spent 6 days in Manhattan last week. As I mentioned in my post on how to eat vegan while traveling, the first thing that I always do after checking into a hotel is look at Happy Cow for vegan and vegetarian restaurants in the area.
I’m surprised my phone didn’t start hissing and smoking from the excess of output. There were pages and pages of options – all within a walkable area.
For a person coming from a state with TWO vegan restaurants, it was an embarrassment of riches. I didn’t even know where to start.
Easily one of the best parts of travel is dining out at amazing restaurants. I love food that stimulates the senses in every way, food that not only tastes fantastic but also leaves you wondering, “How on earth did they do that?”
I’ll be writing all about stomping the New York City pavement in a future post, but this one is about coming home again.
After days of traveling and indulging in rich, complex dishes, I find that when I come home, I’m ready for simplicity. I want something light and green and easy. I often crave dark kale salads or lightly steamed greens.
Sauteed broccolini & kale
One of my favorite side dishes of late fits the bill perfectly – sautéed broccolini & kale.
This dish combines two of my favorite vegetables and gives some added texture and crunch to your average cooked kale. The flavors play well together and make for a great side dish with baked tofu, pesto rice, or alongside garlic butter noodles.
As wonderful as it is to see the world, there’s something comforting about coming back to your simple slice of it.
Sautéed Broccolini & Kale
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch broccolini about 11 ounces, cut into one inch pieces with ends removed
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 bunch curly kale leaves removed from ribs and roughly chopped
- Pinch salt
- In a large skillet, bring extra virgin olive oil to a medium heat and sauté garlic for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.
- Add broccolini to the skillet and sauté for a minute more. Add water to the skillet and cover for about 3 minutes, allowing the broccolini to steam.
- Once most or all of the water is gone, uncover the skillet and add chopped kale. Evenly combine the kale with the broccolini and sauté for a few minutes more, until the kale is soft and wilted.
- Add a pinch of salt and serve warm.
Here are more easy vegan side dishes I think you’ll love:
Easy roasted cauliflower in the air fryer or oven
Smoky sweet vegan collard greens