Curried tofu salad comes together in just 10 minutes. It’s filled with raisins, shredded carrot, and nutty pistachios for crunch. Serve it on its own, in a sandwich, or wrap. Vegan & gluten-free.
Somehow whenever I have an appointment, I’m left at the last second scrambling for something to eat that won’t take long to prepare.
Even when I think I’ve allowed plenty of time, it never fails that with ten minutes to spare I’m looking at a bin of produce and wondering how I’m going to turn that into something I can have in a flash.
At times like those, salad sandwiches are perfect. They’re filling and easy. They’re made with pantry staples. And for the most part, anything goes.
I can quickly make chickpea salad, vegan egg salad, or today’s curried tofu salad with vegan mayo as the base. Then depending on the recipe, I’ll add celery, onion, shredded carrot, nuts or seeds, dried fruit, sliced grapes, diced pickles, stone-ground mustard, and/or spices.
Tofu salad fits easily into a sandwich, tortilla, spread onto crackers, stuffed into a tomato, eaten in a lettuce leaf, or just plain right out of the bowl alongside of a green salad.
Curried tofu salad
Even better are the times when I’ve made a tofu salad ahead of time, like this curried tofu salad. The flavors meld and deepen with time as it sinks into the blocks of tofu.
Every day it sits in the refrigerator, it just gets better. (I think this one tastes best on day two!)
When it’s already waiting and ready in the fridge, I can just add a couple of dollops into a tortilla, roll it up, and hit the door.
This curried tofu salad is based on one of my favorite prepared salads at my local Co-op. With carrots, onions, and raisins, it has a wonderful mixture of sweet and savory flavors.
For spices, this one uses a simple curry powder. If you have a curry powder you like, by all means use it. I have two favorite curry powders from Penzey’s – sweet and hot. For this lunch offering, I use the sweet one, and then I add cayenne to taste for a bit of added kick.
Curried Tofu Salad
- 10 ounces super-firm vacuum-packed tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes*
- 1 stalk celery chopped small
- 1 small carrot grated
- 2 Tablespoons yellow onion chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- 2 Tablespoons pistachios
- 3 Tablespoons vegan mayo Vegenaise is my favorite.
- 2 teaspoons sweet curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon plain unsweetened non-dairy milk I use cashew milk.
- 1/4 teaspoon agave syrup
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put tofu, celery, carrot, yellow onion, raisins, and pistachios in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine vegan mayo, sweet curry powder, non-dairy milk, agave syrup, and cayenne.
- Pour the mayo mixture into the bowl with the tofu and thoroughly combine, being careful not to break up the tofu too much. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- The tofu salad can be eaten right away. However, for best results, cover and refrigerate the tofu salad and allow flavors to meld for several hours or overnight. The flavors will continue to deepen, and I like this tofu salad best after two days.
Disclosure: Post contains Amazon affiliate links.