This kimchi reuben is packed with savory bulgogi tofu, spicy kimchi, and your choice of non-dairy smoked gouda or avocado slices. Loaded with flavor in every bite, this vegan sandwich truly satisfies.
The thing that I love about the arrival of warmer months is unpacking all of my favorite things – bicycles, tank tops, sundresses, sandals, and the grill.
In the same way that my wardrobe seems to expand by double in the spring, grilling season opens up so many possibilities for meals.
Even if I’m just making a salad for dinner, adding some grilled garlic bread on the side increases the fun quotient.
And of course, grilling is just a pleasure in its own right. Standing outside, smelling food cook over a flame, and no pots or pans necessary. Grilling means fewer dishes for clean-up.
Plus, when you’re cooking plant foods exclusively, you don’t have to worry about which platters and spatulas have touched anything raw. It’s just fine to put cooked asparagus right back on the same plate where the raw asparagus had been.
Plant foods cook quickly on the grill, meaning dinner is ready in no time at all. And grill marks make food look so inviting!
Vegan kimchi reuben
For another grill-exclusive meal, today I’m using the bulgogi tofu for a Korean-inspired kimchi reuben.
Reubens are easily my favorite sandwich. And this version gives that classic sandwich a twist.
With savory tofu as the base, it’s topped with a pile of kimchi on grilled rye bread.
Top it with sliced avocado (left) or melty non-dairy smoked gouda (right).
The smoked gouda from Follow Your Heart is my preferred brand. The smokiness of the cheese with the grilled tofu works beautifully together. And avocado is avocado. So you really can’t go wrong either way.
This sandwich pops with flavor and goes well with a simple side of fries or a pile of sesame kale.
Kimchi reuben with bulgogi tofu
- Non-dairy butter for buttering bread
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 slices non-dairy smoked gouda or 1 avocado pitted and cut into slices*
- 1 batch bulgogi tofu
- 1/2 cup kimchi divided**
- Heat outdoor grill to 500 degrees. Use a knife to spread non-dairy butter on each side of bread.
- Grill bread on one side for a couple of minutes, until grill marks have formed. Flip bread and top two of the bread slices with non-dairy smoked gouda (if using). (If you're using avocado, you'll add that later.)
- Grill for a couple more minutes with the grill lid closed, so that the cheese melts. Once grill marks have formed on the second side, remove bread from grill.
- Now it's time to compile the sandwiches. On top of the plain slices of bread, top with two slices of bulgogi tofu. Squeeze the kimchi with your hands over the sink to remove any excess liquid. Place 1/4 cup of kimchi on each sandwich. Top with a few slices of avocado, if using, and the last layer of bread. (That's the one with the melted cheese, if using.) Serve immediately.