Air fryer asparagus takes only minutes to make. Everyone’s favorite spring vegetable is a perfect vegan and gluten-free side dish.
It goes well with almost any entrée. Or keep it simple with a salad & lemony potatoes.
Asparagus is one of my all-time favorite vegetables, as well as a wonderful harbinger of spring. It’s right up there with daffodils & butterflies.
For many years, I thought roasting asparagus in the oven was the best way to prepare it. Then along came the air fryer to prove there’s always room for good things to get even better.
The air fryer takes those beautiful thin stalks and gives them some light brown color, as well as roasty-toasty tips with a delicate crunch.
Asparagus is so fast & easy to make in the air fryer. You get all of the toasted flavor of roasted asparagus without any of the waiting time for your oven to preheat.
How to make asparagus in the air fryer
Run asparagus stalks under water. Dry with a clean kitchen towel. Then remove the hard, woody ends.
You can do this simply by using your hands to break off the bottoms of each stalk. It will naturally break where the wooded area ends.
If you’re in a hurry or want them to all be the same length, break just one. Then use it as a guide for the remaining asparagus spears in the bunch.
Line the broken stalk up with the others, so that the tips are all in the same place. Then cut across the base, so that they’re all even.
Put the asparagus into the air fryer basket. Lightly oil it with spray or a drizzle. If needed, use your hands to get even oil coverage throughout – including the tips. Add a pinch of salt.
Air fry at 380 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes, stopping once to shake the basket for even roasting.
Air frying times can vary because of different asparagus thickness and power of the machine itself. So check on your asparagus starting at 5 minutes. If your stalks are especially thick, it may take as long as 10 minutes.
I like my asparagus to be brown in spots with crispy tips. Use your best judgment to decide when it’s the perfect amount of doneness for you.
Make it your own
You can make this air fryer asparagus your own by varying the seasonings.
Instead of or in addition to salt, add a squeeze of lemon, lemon zest, or your favorite seasoning salt. I’m a big fan of Penzeys’ Fox Point seasoning.
Before serving, add crumbled vegan feta cheese for more richness and tangy flavor.
What to serve with asparagus
Asparagus goes well with almost any main course.
Serve it with:
- Lemony potatoes
- Spinach salad with strawberries
- Pineapple fried rice with eggy tofu
- Vegan crab cakes
- Mediterranean pasta with tomatoes & vegan feta
- Grilled tofu with lemon & rosemary
- Vegan pesto pasta with artichokes & chickpeas
- Grilled Portobello mushrooms
How to store
Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will keep 3 to 5 days.
When you’re ready to eat it, throw it back into the air fryer basket. Cook at 380 degrees until warm. Or reheat for 30 to 60 seconds in the microwave.
More air fryer recipes
Keep the air fryer love going with more easy air fryer recipes:
- Vegan baba ganoush
- Air fryer stuffed peppers
- Fried pickles
- Fried ravioli
- Air fryer baked potato
- Vegan eggplant parmesan
- Vegan zucchini lasagna
Air fryer asparagus
- 6 ounces asparagus woody ends removed
- Spritz oil
- Pinch salt
- Place asparagus into air fryer basket. Spray (or drizzle) with oil, and add a pinch of salt.
- Air fry at 380 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes, stopping once to shake the basket for even roasting. Cooking time can vary depending on your air fryer and the thickness of the asparagus. So start checking doneness at about 5 minutes. I like it when they are starting to brown with crispy tips. If the stalks are especially wide, it may take as long as 10 minutes. Remove when they reach your preferred doneness.