Baked taquitos stuffed with sweet potatoes & black beans. Cook them in the oven or air fryer. The crackling crunch of the corn tortilla exterior gives way to a smoky, spicy, sweet filling.
Serve them with guacamole, salsa, or vegan cheese dip for dunking. Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free.
Why are finger foods instantly more fun than foods you eat with a knife and fork? If you want to please a crowd, finger foods are the way to go.
They just make people happy.
Baked taquitos with sweet potatoes & black beans
Take these baked taquitos, for example.
The crispy corn tortilla exterior gives way with a crunch to the enticing filling. The sweet potatoes and black beans have been flavored with onions, garlic, spices, and a chipotle pepper in adobo.
Cook once, eat multiple times
I’m someone who likes to cook once and eat multiple times.
So one batch of this sweet potato & black bean mixture can be used for sweet potato black bean tacos one day. Then the next, roll the filling into corn tortillas for taquitos.
It’s a way to re-purpose leftovers, so that you don’t get bored.
Also, taquitos keep well in the refrigerator or freezer. (See the recipe box notes for instructions.)
That makes them a great dish to give expecting parents. Not only is it a break from the casseroles and soups in the freezer. Baked taquitos are also a food you can eat one-handed! Very handy for those who are holding an infant non-stop.
How to make baked taquitos
First, start by cutting a sweet potato into even, half-inch pieces. Then cook the sweet potato in the air fryer or oven.
While the sweet potato is cooking, sauté onions and garlic in a skillet.
Add spices, a chipotle pepper in adobo, black beans, and a splash of water to de-glaze the pan and combine the spices.
Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the skillet, as well as another splash of water, if necessary.
Warm the corn tortillas
Now it’s time to fill the corn tortillas with the sweet potato & black bean mixture.
Corn tortillas have to be warmed before rolling. Otherwise, they will break. By warming them first, you make them more pliable.
You can warm the tortillas in the microwave. Or warm each tortilla one by one in a dry, warm skillet. Your choice!
Then move each warm tortilla to a separate cutting board, plate, or work station. Put an even line of sweet potato & black bean mixture about a quarter of the way down the tortilla.
Then roll the tortilla into the shape of a cigar.
(To see step-by-step pictures on how to roll a taquito, check out this post for vegan taquitos with jackfruit.)
Baked taquitos in the oven or air fryer
Now you can either bake the taquitos in the oven or air fryer.
To cook them in the oven, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the taquitos onto the baking sheet, seam side down. That way the seam will bake closed, keeping all of your filling inside.
Bake for 15 minutes at 420 degrees.
To cook them in the air fryer, put the taquitos into the air fryer basket seam side down. Don’t flip them while they are cooking, in case the seam isn’t fully shut.
Air fry for 9 minutes at 400 degrees.
Serve baked taquitos with your favorite dipping sauces and dig in!
Baked taquitos with sweet potatoes - in the air fryer or oven!
- 1 large sweet potato cut evenly into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic canola oil or other neutral flavored oil, divided + oil spray
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups black beans 15 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped small (If you're heat averse, remove the seeds.)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon agave syrup or maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons water divided
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- Optional dipping sauces: easy guacamole, salsa, or vegan cheese dip
- TO COOK SWEET POTATO IN THE OVEN: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, toss sweet potato pieces with 1 teaspoon oil. Lay the pieces evenly across the baking sheet, making sure not to touch or overcrowd. Bake sweet potatoes for 20 minutes, stopping once or twice throughout the baking time to toss the potatoes for even browning. After 20 minutes, check to see if they're done - brown on the outside and soft on the inside. If not, cook 5 minutes longer. Once finished, remove from oven and set aside.
- TO COOK SWEET POTATO IN AIR FRYER: Put sweet potato pieces into air fryer basket. Spray sweet potatoes with oil or toss with a teaspoon of oil. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, stopping once or twice to shake the basket.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, in a large skillet, bring remaining half teaspoon of oil to a medium heat. Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes, until translucent and fragrant.
- Add black beans, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, cumin, paprika, ancho chili powder, salt, and agave or maple syrup to the skillet. Put 2 Tablespoons of water into the skillet and combine all of the ingredients.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the skillet and the remaining Tablespoon of water to fully incorporate all of the spices.
- Taste for salt and add more if desired. If you'd like a spicier filling, add an additional chopped chipotle pepper or a half teaspoon of adobo sauce. Fully incorporate all of the ingredients in the skillet.
- Now it's time to warm the corn tortillas. You can either microwave them to make them pliable OR warm them in a skillet.
- TO WARM THE CORN TORTILLAS IN THE MICROWAVE: Put the corn tortillas on a plate, and cover them with a damp cloth napkin. Microwave the corn tortillas for about one minute, stopping once to flip the stack half-way through. (If they aren't pliable enough, microwave for 30 seconds more.) While you fill each tortilla, keep the remaining plateful covered with the damp cloth napkin to keep them warm and pliable.
- TO WARM THE CORN TORTILLAS ON THE STOVE: Bring a non-stick skillet to a medium heat. Put one corn tortilla onto the skillet. Warm one side for a minute or so. Then flip the corn tortilla and warm that side as well. Once the corn tortilla is warm and pliable, move it to a plate. Put another corn tortilla onto the skillet. While the second tortilla warms, fill the first one. And continue until all of the tortillas are warmed & filled.
- HOW TO FILL CORN TORTILLAS: Put 2 Tablespoons of sweet potato & black bean mixture in a single row across the tortilla. The row should be closer to one edge, off from center. Grab the end of the tortilla, and fold it over the row of sweet potato & black beans. Tuck it underneath the sweet potato mixture, so that it's firmly holding onto it, like a hug. Then continue to roll the tortilla, until it's shaped like a cigar. Now it's time to bake OR air fry the taquitos.
- TO BAKE THE TAQUITOS: Bring the oven up to 420 degrees. Line the baking sheet with new parchment paper, or re-use the old parchment paper if it's still fine. Put the taquitos seam side down onto the baking sheet. Give the taquitos a quick spray of oil. Bake the taquitos at 420 degrees for 15 minutes. I don't recommend flipping them, because they may not be fully sealed yet. You'll know the taquitos are ready when the edges are turning brown, and the center of each taquito feels firm to the touch. Carefully remove them from the oven. They will be hot.
- TO AIR FRY THE TAQUITOS: Put each taquito seam side down into the air fryer basket. You likely won't be able to fit all 10 to 12 taquitos into the air fryer basket at once. So you'll need to air fry in batches. Line the taquitos in an even layer in the air fryer basket next to each other, allowing some room for air flow. Don't stack taquitos on top of each other. They won't brown that way. Give the taquitos a quick spray of oil. Air fry the taquitos at 400 degrees for 9 minutes. I don't recommend flipping them, because they may not be fully sealed yet. You'll know the taquitos are ready when the edges are turning brown, and the center of each taquito feels firm to the touch. Carefully remove them from the air fryer. They will be hot.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, and/or vegan cheese dip.
Originally posted April 2012. Content updated March 2019.