Chocolate banana nice cream can be yours with just three ingredients and a few minutes. It tastes like dessert, but it’s made with wholesome ingredients. Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free.
When you want a sweet treat but your chocolate stash has run dry, it’s time to make chocolate banana nice cream.
It is made by blending frozen bananas until they become smooth and creamy, like soft serve.
Add in some cocoa powder and a bit of non-dairy milk to ease with the blending, and vegan nice cream is yours.
Frozen bananas are the David Copperfield of the produce world. They are master illusionists.
(Just don’t ask them to make the Statue of Liberty disappear.)
They can go from humble fruit to having the texture of soft serve-style ice cream in no time at all.
Of course, bananas are no strangers to cold desserts. They play the leading role in a grilled banana split, but why stop there?
How to make it
Start by peeling fresh bananas. Break them into chunks.
Then freeze them in a freezer-safe container. I use glass Pyrex bowls.
Once the bananas are hard and fully frozen, put them into the blender with cocoa powder, and a splash of non-dairy milk. Then blend!
Depending on the strength of your blender and the size of your bananas, you may need more or less non-dairy milk.
I recommend starting with the minimum amount and working up from there. Otherwise, you may well end up with a smoothie instead of nice cream.
Some people prefer using their food processor for nice cream. So if that’s what you have on hand, go for it!
For non-dairy milk, I usually use cashew milk, but vanilla soy milk is also a tasty choice.
If you’re feeling fancy, add a couple of maraschino cherries or zest a chocolate chip on top.
Put the chocolate banana nice cream into two bowls and enjoy!
Chocolate banana nice cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup non-dairy milk I use cashew milk.
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 bananas peeled and frozen in chunks
- Zested chocolate chip and/or maraschino cherries Optional garnish
- Blend 1/4 cup non-dairy milk, cocoa powder, and bananas in a blender until smooth but still thick. If the nice cream isn't blending well enough, add up to 1/4 cup more of non-dairy milk. Remember not to add too much, though. You want it to blend, but not become liquidy like a smoothie.
- Serve the nice cream in two bowls and top with a zested chocolate chip and/or maraschino cherries, if using.
Originally posted March 2012. Content updated May 2019.