Chocolate banana nice cream can be yours with just three ingredients and a few minutes.
It tastes like dessert. But it’s made with wholesome ingredients. Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free.
When you want a sweet treat but your chocolate stash has run dry, it’s time to make chocolate banana nice cream.
It is made by blending frozen bananas until they become smooth and creamy, like soft serve.
Add in some cocoa powder and a bit of non-dairy milk to ease with the blending, and vegan nice cream is yours.
Frozen bananas are the David Copperfield of the produce world.
They are master illusionists.
They can go from humble fruit to having the texture of soft serve-style ice cream in no time at all.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this recipe.
Non-dairy milk: I typically use cashew milk, but any non-dairy milk you like will work here. Try it with almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
Cocoa powder: That’s what gives this nice cream its chocolatey flavor.
Bananas: It’s essential that the bananas have been frozen first. That’s what makes this dessert creamy.
Peel ripe bananas, break them into chunks, and then freeze until you’re ready to use them.
Chocolate chip: If you like, finish with a zested chocolate chip for garnish.
You can find non-dairy semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips in most grocery stores. Just read the ingredient label.
Step by step instructions
Here’s how to make this recipe at a glance. For complete ingredient amounts & instructions, keep scrolling to the recipe card below.
Start by peeling fresh bananas. Break them into chunks.
Then freeze them in a freezer-safe container. I use glass Pyrex bowls.
Once the bananas are hard and fully frozen, put them into the blender with cocoa powder, and a splash of non-dairy milk.
Depending on the strength of your blender and the size of your bananas, you may need more or less non-dairy milk.
I recommend starting with the minimum amount and working up from there. Otherwise, you may well end up with a smoothie instead of nice cream.
Put the chocolate banana nice cream into two bowls and enjoy!
Make it your own
You can make this easy dessert your own by varying the preparation method and/or ingredients.
Chocolate banana nice cream
- ¼ to ½ cup non-dairy milk I use cashew milk
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 bananas peeled and frozen in chunks
- Zested chocolate chip and/or maraschino cherries Optional garnish
- Blend ¼ cup non-dairy milk, cocoa powder, and bananas in a blender until smooth but still thick. If the nice cream isn't blending well enough, add up to ¼ cup more of non-dairy milk. Remember not to add too much, though. You want it to blend, but not become liquidy like a smoothie.
- Serve the nice cream in two bowls and top with a zested chocolate chip and/or maraschino cherries, if using.
Content updated January 14, 2023. Originally posted March 15, 2012.