Breakfast potatoes in oven are cozy enough for weekends but hands-off enough for Mondays. Basically, any day is the right day for potatoes. Vegan & gluten-free.
It’s really no question. As far as breakfast dishes go, hash browns reign supreme. The crisp and salty exterior along with the flaky texture makes for an addictively good Saturday treat.
But hash browns need babying. You have to grate, rinse, drain, and dry. Then you have to keep watch over the skillet, making sure that the hash browns brown without burning.
Sure, a weekend doesn’t mind all of that pampering, but Monday? No, it has more pressing things on its schedule.
It’s on days like those that I opt for breakfast potatoes instead. All that’s required is a few ingredients and some easy chopping.
How to make them
Toss with oil, place on parchment paper, and pop in the oven. Most of the work happens while you shower, dress, and get ready for the day.
While fried potatoes have their place, sometimes it’s nice to have potato benefits without the task of keeping an eye on a hot skillet.
During the last five minutes of baking time, I like to quickly brown some seitan bacon and eggy tofu for a full vegan breakfast.
(Lately, in addition to sprinkling black salt on my tofu, I’ve added a dusting of onion powder and nutritional yeast to each side as well.)
This hearty meal is filling and cozy, like the ideal Saturday Austin breakfast. But it requires only 10 minutes of time on task. The rest is inactive time, while the potatoes are in the oven.
Why not carry on that cozy feeling of the weekend for one more day?
Other ways to enjoy them
By the way, these crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside potatoes are a welcome addition to a vegan breakfast burrito. Throw some leftover tofu scramble in a warmed tortilla along with these vegan breakfast potatoes and you have a very fine, fast, and portable breakfast.
Or if you’re the kind of person who only needs coffee to start the day, vegan breakfast potatoes transport well and also make for a substantive lunch. Add a browned Field Roast apple sage sausage and/or avocado, and find yourself the envy of your desk mates, dining on vending machine potato chips.
These potatoes also make a great base for a jackfruit reuben nourish bowl, along with sauerkraut, avocado, spinach, and vegan Thousand Island dressing.
Oven roasted breakfast potatoes (Vegan)
- 1 small bell pepper ~5 ounces or roughly 3/4 cup, chopped medium
- 1 small onion ~4 ounces or roughly 3/4 cup, chopped medium
- 2 medium sized Russet potatoes ~13 ounces total or roughly 2 generous cups, chopped medium
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil or other neutral flavored high heat oil
- Pinch salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put chopped bell pepper, onions, and potatoes on parchment paper covered baking sheet. Toss with organic canola oil. Top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly across the baking sheet, being careful that the vegetables don't overlap.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven, toss the bell peppers, onions, and potatoes. Spread them across the baking sheet again, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and add more salt and pepper if necessary.