Love the flavors of buffalo plus cool, creamy dressing? You’re going to adore it in one handheld vessel. This buffalo chickpea sandwich is ready in just 20 minutes!
Here’s an easy, flavorful sandwich that makes a terrific lunch.
Buffalo chickpeas are cooked in a mixture of hot sauce & non-dairy butter. Then they’re loaded onto a toasted bun, and topped with vegan blue cheese dressing.
So much spicy goodness with cooling dressing in each & every bite.
The dressing walks the line between blue cheese and ranch. It has texture by way of crumbled tofu. But the herbs are reminiscent of ranch with parsley, oregano, basil, and garlic powder.
This buffalo chickpea sandwich puts me to the mind of a sloppy joe in that you’ll want to be seated when you’re eating it. You might have some chickpeas rolling out of the bun or vegan blue cheese dressing dripping onto your hand. That makes it all the more satisfying, though.
What kind of hot sauce should I use?
In my mind, it’s not really buffalo sauce unless it’s Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. It has that quintessential buffalo flavor to me. But feel free to use the vinegar-based hot sauce of your choice.
I’ve never used it, but Frank’s Buffalo Wings Sauce is accidentally vegan, if you’d prefer to use that instead. In which case, you can leave out the non-dairy butter & add an additional Tablespoon of sauce.
How to make a buffalo chickpea sandwich
Sauté onions & garlic in a skillet.
Add a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas (or 1 ½ cups), and let them get warm. Smash some of the chickpeas with a fork, so that they will hold better on a bun.
Add hot sauce, non-dairy butter, and granulated onion. Let the chickpeas cook down & absorb the sauce.
Make the vegan blue cheese dressing
In a bowl, mix the following:
- Eggless mayo
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Non-dairy milk
- Dried parsley
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Garlic powder
- Crumbled super firm tofu
Put the buffalo chickpeas onto toasted buns. Top with vegan blue cheese dressing.
Make it your own
You can make this sandwich your own by adding:
- Sliced onion
- Chopped celery
- A few more splashes of hot sauce
What to serve with this sandwich
- Oven baked fries
- Potato salad
- Broccolini with garlic and kale
- Roasted cauliflower
- Southwest salad with grilled corn
- Easy spinach salad with pecans & vinaigrette
How to store leftovers
If you have leftovers, I recommend storing the buffalo chickpeas separate from the dressing. Store them each in covered containers in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Then you can reheat the chickpeas in the microwave or on the stove. If the chickpeas seem dried out, add a few splashes of hot sauce.
Here are more buffalo recipes I know you’ll enjoy:
Buffalo chickpea sandwich with vegan blue cheese
For the buffalo chickpea sandwich
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil or other neutral-flavored oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas or a drained 15 ounce can
- 3 Tablespoons Frank's Red Hot Sauce or your preferred hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon non-dairy butter
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 4 hamburger buns toasted and/or warmed
For the vegan blue cheese dressing
- 1/4 cup crumbled tofu about 2.5 ounces super firm tofu*
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise I use Vegenaise
- 1 to 2 teaspoons non-dairy milk I use cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch salt
To make the buffalo chickpea sandwich
- Bring a large non-stick skillet to a medium heat with oil. Add onions and garlic. Saute a couple minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the drained chickpeas to the skillet. Saute a few minutes more to warm the chickpeas. Mash them a little with a fork, so that they will stay on a bun easier.
- Add the hot sauce, non-dairy butter, and granulated onion to the skillet. Use a spatula to make sure everything is evenly combined. Cook for a few more minutes to allow the chickpeas to absorb the sauce. Then remove from heat.
- Put a few generous dollops of the buffalo chickpeas on toasted or warmed hamburger buns. Top with vegan blue cheese dressing, and serve right away.
To make the vegan blue cheese dressing
- In a bowl, combine the crumbled tofu, vegan mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, dried parsley, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, and pinch of salt. The dressing shouldn't be too liquidy, because you want it to hold on a sandwich. However, if you'd like a runnier dressing, add the additional teaspoon of non-dairy milk. Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary. Move dressing to refrigerator until ready to use.
Content, recipe, and photos updated July 2020. Originally posted May 2013.
When I first shared this recipe back in 2013, I roasted the chickpeas in the oven before tossing them with sauce. But when I updated this post, I opted for the skillet instead. That way you’re eating faster & don’t have to heat up the house.
While I was at it, I sautéed onions & garlic in this new variation for more flavor. Finally, I added vegan blue cheese dressing for a cooling effect.