Looking for a delightfully easy & delicious side dish? Make this roasted cabbage recipe in the oven. It’s buttery soft and crispy around the edges. Vegan & gluten-free.
I am a huge fan of cabbage in all of its forms.
But one of my all-time favorite ways to prepare it has to be this easy roasted cabbage recipe. It gets wonderfully crispy around the edges, while the inside stays beautifully tender. It’s downright addictive!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this recipe.
You need just 3 ingredients for this crispy cabbage recipe:
Don’t let the simplicity fool you!
Roasting bite-sized pieces of cabbage in the oven makes it brown and crisp around all of the edges. On the inside, it’s buttery soft and melts in your mouth.
Cabbage steaks, like cauliflower steaks, are having a moment right now. But I prefer cabbage cut into bite-sized pieces. Smaller pieces means more crispy edges, and that’s the best part.
Great way to use leftover cabbage
If you’re like me, you’ve occasionally bought a head of cabbage for vegan fish tacos on Taco Tuesday.
Then on Wednesday you’ve wondered what you were going to do with the overflowing amount you had left.
This roasted cabbage recipe is ideal because it shrinks by half in the roasting time. Two cups of raw becomes just a cup of cooked.
Step by step instructions
Here’s how to make this recipe at a glance. For complete ingredient amounts & instructions, keep scrolling to the recipe card below.
Put chopped cabbage onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Toss the cabbage with oil and a pinch of salt.
(Since the cabbage shrinks a lot, don’t go overboard with the salt. There will be a smaller amount of surface area after it’s done. So the salt will be more condensed as well.)
Be careful not to overcrowd your baking sheet. If it’s too overloaded, it will steam instead of roast. It’s still fine to eat, but you’ll lose that perfect mix of crisp & soft.
Roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 17 to 20 minutes.
Stop once halfway through to stir, so that it is evenly browned. And rotate the baking sheets. Move the one that was on top to the bottom and vice versa.
It’s also a wonderful side dish with any of the following:
- 4 cups raw cabbage cut into medium-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or other neutral-flavored oil, divided
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put half of the cabbage on each of the two sheets. Toss the cabbage on each sheet with ½ teaspoon oil and a pinch of salt. Spread the cabbage evenly across the sheets, so that it's not touching.(Be careful not to over salt. The cabbage will shrink as it cooks, which means the salt will have a condensed surface area.)
- Roast the cabbage for 17-20 minutes, stopping once halfway through to flip the cabbage pieces with a spatula.Move the top baking sheet to the bottom, and the bottom to the top for even roasting. Keep an eye on it for the last five minutes of roasting. Toasty brown and even a little burnt around the edges is good, but totally black is not. Remove from oven and serve.
Content updated January 23, 2024. Originally posted February 2012 with the recipe name “Crispy Cabbage.”