It’s time for some Doctor Who food! If you’ve been feeling like your mealtime isn’t nearly geeky enough, I’ve got the solution for you. Adipose tofu with bowtie pasta salad. (Bowties are cool!)
This Doctor Who themed meal is sure to delight the Whovians in your life.
What is adipose?
To non Doctor Who fans, adipose tissue is what is found beneath the skin and around internal organs. But Doctor Who enthusiasts know it to be an alien creature from David Tennant’s time on the show.
I don’t want to give any spoilers away, but let’s just say they had a symbiotic relationship with human dieters.
Doctor Who food
For this Doctor Who themed meal, I’ve cut tofu into the shape of Adipose and baked them in a lemon marinade. Then I added capers for eyes and sliced kalamata olives for mouths.
These lemony tofu figures are almost too cute to eat.
I served them on top of bowtie pasta salad, which is another Doctor Who reference – this time to the eleventh doctor, Matt Smith, who had a particular fondness for bowties.
The pasta salad is dotted with roasted chickpeas and Castelvetrano olives. If you wanted to pretend that the sliced cherry tomatoes in the salad are little fezzes, I wouldn’t hold it against you.
Oh, and artichoke hearts, of course. The Doctor insists on at least two of them. 😉
And on the side, kale chips served in a Dalek soufflé dish.
Fans of the show may remember when Clara Oswald, who was at one time trapped inside of a Dalek, later went on to save a species by offering up a very special leaf, dubbed the most important leaf in human history.
As far as leaves go, it doesn’t get much more special than kale, am I right?
This meal of Doctor Who food would be perfect for a lunch, dinner, birthday party or picnic for fans of the show.
Adipose tofu with bowtie pasta salad
To make lemon tofu - Adipose style
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the tofu into about 4 even slices. Cut those slices into Adipose shapes with two legs, arms, and rounded head.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and tamari into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Tilt the dish, so that the bottom is evenly coated. Put the tofu slices into the dish, making sure each side gets coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and flip the tofu slices. Pour lemon juice into the dish. Grind black pepper evenly over the slices.
- Bake the tofu for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and move to a serving plate or on top of bowtie pasta salad. Top each Adipose tofu slice with 2 capers for eyes and a kalamata slice mouth.