I’m finishing up the Doctor Who party with a couple of options for cocktails!
The first used to be my go-to drink on airplanes, the Bloody Mary. I figured it was pretty much tomato soup meets salad. So it was like a meal in a glass.
Unfortunately, most Bloody Mary mix involves Worcestershire made with anchovies. However, this version uses vegetarian Worcestershire.
It is also alcohol free. Feel free to add a shot or two of vodka if you prefer!)
While the tomato juice, celery seed, and lemon juice have you thinking Bloody Mary, pay special attention to the plastic snake slithering up Peter Davison’s signature celery stalk.
If you follow the original Doctor Who, you may have guessed this is a Bloody Mara instead. (You can read all about Mara here.)
When the villainous Mara grabbed hold of someone’s psyche in her/his dreams, a snake would appear on the victim’s arm, and the person’s teeth would look like they’d recently nibbled on a disclosing tablet.
(Perhaps the dental hygienist happened to be visiting Manussa that day…)
Nibble on a few cornichons while you enjoy this spicy, salty drink. And of course, beware of any wind chimes…
The second drink is in tribute to the Doctor’s tool of all trades.
Put together Tonic + Screwdriver and what do you get? That’s right. A Sonic Screwdriver.
This drink is made with equal parts tonic and orange juice. But feel free to add a shot or two of vodka if you prefer.
Bloody Mara & Sonic Screwdriver: Doctor Who cocktails
For Bloody Mara
For Sonic Screwdriver
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup tonic water
To make Bloody Mara
- In a tall glass, combine tomato juice, lemon juice, and celery seed. Muddle the celery seed a bit until it’s somewhat broken up.
- Add the liquid from the jar of jalapenos, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of hot sauce. (Add a shot or two of vodka, if you like!) Fully combine and add ice.
- Garnish with pickles and a tall celery stalk getting hugged by a plastic snake.
To make Sonic Screwdriver
- Pour orange juice into tall glass with tonic water. Quickly stir with spoon, add ice, and serve. (Add a shot or two of vodka if you like!)
Now that you have a cocktails in hand, enjoy this stop motion animation/live action short my husband made a few years ago (back when he had sideburns).
Those Daleks… You just can’t trust them anywhere…