I’m so excited to share another cooking video with you today! This one is for my favorite salad recipe: crave-worthy kale salad with roasted chickpeas. Vegan & gluten-free.
I make this kale salad recipe for lunch or dinner at least once a week. It’s topped with creamy cashew dressing and roasted chickpeas.
Kale is an ideal leafy green for meal planning. You can make a huge salad on Sunday, and then eat from it all week long.
Because it’s a hearty green, it doesn’t wilt over time in the same way that spinach does. And you can even dress it ahead of time.
Also, having a big kale salad on hand for whenever hunger strikes makes healthy eating easy.
If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you’ll need to soak the raw cashews in water and then drain them before making the dressing. I recommend soaking them for at least a couple of hours for best results.
(I have more tips on making cashew dressing without a high-speed blender here.)
The dressing has the flavors of garlic and cilantro, but if you’re not a cilantro fan, feel free to leave it out. I’ve made it several times without cilantro, and it still has plenty of delicious flavor.
The roasted chickpeas give the salad an extra boost of staying power.
They are best hot out of the oven, but I still enjoy them cold out of the refrigerator too. Keep in mind, though, they won’t have the same crispness and crunch post refrigeration.
A huge thank you to my husband, David, for shooting and editing this kale salad video! David and I have really been on a roll this year with videos.
Since I made a goal in January of making at least one video per month, we’ve made 3 cooking videos (vegan egg and toast, chickpea tacos, and today’s video for kale salad with roasted chickpeas). Plus one review/travel video covering Ben & Jerry’s vegan ice creams.
Crave-worthy kale salad & roasted chickpeas
- 1 bunch curly kale removed from ribs, roughly chopped
- 1 batch creamy cashew salad dressing
- 1/2 cup each any or all of the following chopped vegetables: red bell pepper, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, and/or cherry tomatoes
- 1 batch roasted chickpeas
- Additional optional add-ins by the handful: peanuts, pistachios, or coconut bacon
- Put chopped curly kale in a large mixing bowl. Pour on a couple tablespoons of creamy cashew dressing. Massage the dressing into the kale for a couple of minutes. The kale leaves will soften and reduce in bulk.
- Once the kale looks soft, top with any or all of your preferred chopped vegetables.
- Top with fresh-out-of-the-oven roasted chickpeas. Drizzle more creamy cashew dressing onto the salad and toss to evenly coat.
- If using, add a handful of peanuts, pistachios, or coconut bacon as an extra crunchy topping.