Tortilla pinwheels are a fun finger food option for potlucks, parties, and lunches.
Loaded with buffalo hummus & fresh veggies, these roll ups have plenty of flavor & crunch.
Vegan & gluten free optional.
If you are a big fan of buffalo, you’re going to love these tortilla pinwheels.
They have the flavor you crave from homemade buffalo hummus, as well as crisp vegetables.
While buffalo-style appetizers are often on the heavy side, this one is surprisingly light.
It’s all rolled into a tortilla for a perfect finger food that goes over well with crowds.
Tortilla pinwheels are a fun option for graduation parties, potlucks, and picnics.
They can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature.
But they’re not only for parties!
They also make really convenient packed lunches.
Serve them in pinwheels or leave them whole as a wrap.
Step by step instructions
Here’s how to make this recipe at a glance. For complete ingredient amounts & instructions, keep scrolling to the recipe card below.
- Spread buffalo hummus onto each flour tortilla. (If your tortillas are dried out, warm them in a skillet first or briefly microwave to make them more pliable.)
- Top with a few splashes of hot sauce, chopped romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, and cilantro or chives.
- Roll it up tightly. Cut into even bites about 2 inches in length.
- And serve!
Make these roll ups your own
It’s easy to make these tortilla roll ups your own by varying the ingredients or changing the serving method.
- Add your preferred veggies: thinly sliced cucumbers, red bell pepper, green onions, or spinach.
- Replace homemade buffalo hummus with store-bought.
- Add finely chopped vegan chicken: seitan, Soy Curls, or chick’n strips.
- Make it a wrap instead of pinwheels. (The addition of vegan chick’n strips goes great here!)
- Serve with vegan blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing as a dipping sauce.
- Choose a different type of hummus like plain hummus, pizza hummus, dill pickle hummus, or kalamata olive hummus.
- Replace buffalo hummus with jalapeño cashew cheese spread, or non-dairy cream cheese.
To make these pinwheel sandwiches gluten-free, simply use gluten-free tortillas.
The buffalo hummus & veggies are gluten-free as-is.
If you are prepping hummus pinwheels for a party, I recommend waiting to cut into them. You don’t want the fillings to get dried out.
Wrap the individual tortilla roll-ups in plastic wrap, and store in the fridge. Then cut them just before serving.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for about 3 days.
More buffalo recipes
Buffalo hummus tortilla pinwheels
- Spread a layer of buffalo hummus onto each tortilla. (I use about 3 Tablespoons per tortilla, but amounts will vary depending upon the size of the tortilla.) The tortillas will seal the best if you spread the hummus all the way to the edges.
- Add 3 or 4 splashes of hot sauce onto each tortilla.
- Now it's time to add the vegetable toppings. For easiest rolling, leave about an inch gap around the perimeter of the tortilla (i.e. don't put your fillings all the way out to the edge.) Sprinkle about a quarter cup romaine lettuce, two Tablespoons shredded carrots, and a Tablespoon cilantro or chives onto each tortilla. (Don't worry too much about the amounts being exact, but be wary of overfilling. If they are too full, they are harder to roll & prone to breakage.)
- Roll the tortillas as tightly as you can.** Use a serrated knife to evenly cut the tortillas into pinwheels, roughly 2 inches in length. Move onto serving platter.