Banana bread cookies with chocolate chips are little pillows of puffy sweetness. When you don’t want to wait for a loaf to bake, these easy vegan cookies are ready in just 20 minutes!
This weekend I decided to make a batch of my vegan banana bread cookies with chocolate chips. They are so pillowy and light with a kiss of banana flavor.
They don’t overwhelm with sweetness. So it’s easy to eat two or three.
The chocolate pairs with the banana wonderfully. (I bet they’d also be good with walnuts if that’s how you prefer your banana bread.)
I adore banana bread. But I don’t always feel like waiting 45 or 50 minutes for it to bake. These banana bread cookies are ready from start to finish in just 20 minutes!
(By the way, if you do want to make a full loaf of banana bread, this recipe from The Full Helping is my go-to. It always gets raves.)
How to find vegan chocolate chips
Dairy-free chocolate chips are easy to find. In fact, a lot of the chips on the market are accidentally vegan.
When buying them, look for the words “dark chocolate” or “semi-sweet.” And of course, you’ll want to read the ingredient label.
They sell vegan chips in the bulk bin at my local co-op. And at Trader Joe’s, you can buy bags of the semi-sweet variety that are vegan.
How to make banana bread cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
Combine all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl:
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl:
- Smashed ripe banana
- Agave syrup (or maple syrup)
- Canola oil
Add wet ingredients to dry. Gently combine into a dough ball. Add in chocolate chips.
Use a Tablespoon to scoop the dough into balls & put them on parchment.
Bake for 10 minutes.
What to do with leftover applesauce
Or grab single serving snack packs of applesauce for this recipe! They’re handy to keep on hand for when you just need a small amount.
Need a substitution?
If you don’t have applesauce, you can replace it with a flax egg instead.
Whisk 3 Tablespoons of water with 1 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes gelatinous. Then add it to the wet ingredients.
Banana bread cookies with chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder with a fork until combined.
- In a separate bowl, smash a banana with a fork until mostly smooth. Add agave syrup, applesauce, vanilla extract, and canola oil and combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix until it becomes a dough. Be careful not to overwork it. Add the chocolate chips and combine.
- Using a Tablespoon, scoop the dough onto two parchment paper-covered baking sheets. Lightly press on each cookie, slightly flattening it.
- Bake for ten minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven, and carefully put the cookies onto a cooling rack to cool for at least 10 minutes.
Content and photos updated May 2020. Originally posted December 2012.