Vegan pigs in a blanket are so fun to make, and easy too. A child could do it!
They’re perfect for parties, get-togethers, an after school snack, or holidays like New Year’s Eve.
Cook them in the air fryer or bake in the oven.
Looking for an easy snack or appetizer for your next gathering?
Vegan pigs in a blanket have a lot of nostalgia-appeal.
Buttery crescent roll dough is wrapped around a smoky vegan hot dog.
Then it’s sprinkled with Everything But the Bagel seasoning.
Cook them in the air fryer or bake in the oven.
Great for dipping into your favorite dressing or sauce.
Here are the 3 ingredients you will need for this easy vegan pigs in a blanket recipe.
Package of 8 veggie dogs: Use whatever brand of store-bought veggie dogs you enjoy.
I used Smart Dogs in these pictures, because they were conveniently available at Trader Joe’s.
However, Field Roast frankfurters are my favorite. I’ve also heard good things about the Field Roast stadium dogs.
Tube of crescent rolls: A surprising amount of crescent rolls in the pop-style tubes are accidentally vegan.
I used the Trader Joe’s crescent rolls. You can also use crescent rolls from Annie’s or The Immaculate Baking Company.
The original Pillsbury crescent rolls also happen to be vegan.
Everything But the Bagel Seasoning: This seasoning is a mix of black & white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion & garlic, and sea salt flakes.
I buy it at Trader Joe’s. But a number of other spice companies make similar products.
Use whichever blend you like. Or omit it, if you prefer.
Step by step instructions
Here’s how to make this recipe at a glance. For complete ingredient amounts and cooking instructions, keep scrolling to the recipe card below.
1. Pop open the crescent rolls. Roll them out onto a cutting board.
2. There will be 8 large triangles. Cut each one in half.
3. Open a package of hot dogs.
4. If you’re using standard-sized hot dogs, cut them all in half. If you’re using larger hot dogs, cut them into 2-inch pieces.
5. Put a hot dog piece on the widest part of the crescent roll. Then roll it up.
6. Continue until you’ve rolled all of the hot dog pieces.
7. Sprinkle the crescent dogs with Everything But the Bagel seasoning.
Air fryer instructions
Put the pigs in a blanket into the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
(Keep in mind that subsequent batches may cook faster, because the air fryer will be hot.)
Air fry at 390 degrees for 5 minutes. Gently flip each of them over. Then continue air frying for 2 more minutes. (You will air fry for 7 minutes in total.)
Remember that air fryers vary. Yours may require a slightly shorter or longer cooking time.
To bake, put the rolled up pigs in a blanket on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Make sure there’s at least an inch between each one, so that they have room to expand.
Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Obviously appetites vary. But I’d plan for 2 to 4 pigs in a blanket per person.
Make it your own
You can make this simple appetizer your own by varying the ingredients.
- Use mini vegan sausages instead of hot dogs
- Add a wedge of vegan cheese, pickled jalapeño, or pickle slice before rolling it up
- Instead of Everything But the Bagel seasoning, sprinkle with sesame seeds
Can you make them ahead of time?
They can be made up to a day ahead of time.
Cut, roll, and season all of the crescent dogs.
Then put them on a plate, wrap in plastic wrap, and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to air fry or bake them.
How to store and reheat
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.
Reheat leftovers in the air fryer.
Air fry at 380 degrees for 4 to 5 minutes (or until fully heated), stopping to flip half way through.
More party appetizers
Looking for more party appetizers for your next games night or gathering?
Here are some delicious starters your friends and family are sure to love.
Vegan pigs in a blanket (air fryer or oven)
- 1 tube crescent rolls
- 1 package veggie dogs (8 hot dogs)
- Sprinkling of Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Pop open the tube of crescent rolls. Roll them out onto a cutting board. There will be 8 large triangles. Use a knife to cut each triangle in half.
- Open a package of veggie dogs. If the hot dogs are standard-sized, cut each of them in half. If they are larger hot dogs, cut each of them into 2-inch pieces.
- Put each veggie dog piece onto the widest part of a crescent roll triangle. Then roll it up.Continue until all of the hot dog pieces have been rolled.
- Once all of the hot dogs have been rolled, sprinkle with Everything But the Bagel seasoning.
- TO AIR FRY: Put the crescent dogs into the air fryer basket with space in between. (Don't overcrowd. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches. Subsequent batches may cook faster.) Air fry at 390 degrees for 5 minutes. Use a spatula or fork to gently turn each one over. Then air fry for 2 more minutes. Remember that air fryers vary. Yours may need slightly longer or shorter of a cooking time. They're done when golden brown & cooked throughout.
- TO BAKE: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Put the wrapped crescent dogs onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Leave at least an inch of room between each one, so that they have space to expand.Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown & cooked throughout.