A big, cozy brunch is yours with this tofu scramble recipe.
Loaded with vegetables and spices, it’s a hearty start to the day that is also packed with protein, fiber, and flavor.
A filling & satisfying vegan & gluten-free breakfast.
When you really want to lean into cozy brunch vibes, make this vegan tofu scramble recipe.
It’s a breakfast that is entirely satiating.
There’s protein-packed tofu, toothsome kale, sweet bell peppers, onions, seasonings, and spices.
It’s a meal that feels decadent and wholesome all at once.
Finish with creamy avocado & a few dashes of hot sauce, and you’ve got an excellent start to the day.
For this recipe, I recommend super firm tofu in vacuum packaging.
It’s convenient, because it doesn’t need to be pressed.
But if you only have access to the water-packed variety, that will work too.
Just drain it from the package. Then dry it off a little with a clean kitchen towel before crumbling it into the pan.
(Wet tofu doesn’t brown as nicely.)
Water-packed packages are usually 14 ounces. And you can use the whole thing. The difference is water weight.
Even with the water-packed variety, you don’t really need to press it for a scramble since you’re not marinating it. It will just have a softer texture, which a lot of people enjoy.
What is kala namak?
One tofu scramble seasoning that may not be in your pantry already is kala namak.
Kala namak is a sulfuric mineral salt. It gives an eggy flavor to anything it touches.
Kala namak is also known as black salt. But it’s actually pink right out of the package.
(However, don’t confuse it with Hawaiian pink salt. They are two different things.)
You can find kala namak in Indian markets. It usually sells for $2-3. It’s also available on Amazon.
If you don’t have kala namak, no worries. You can easily leave it out and add a sprinkle of table salt instead. It just won’t have that eggy flavor, obviously.
Step by step instructions
Here’s how to make this recipe at a glance. For complete ingredient amounts & instructions, keep scrolling to the recipe card below.
Bring a large non-stick skillet to a medium heat with oil.
Crumble tofu across the pan.
Don’t move it for about four minutes. You want it to get nice and brown on one side.
Then flip it, and let it sit for several more minutes.
Now it’s time to sauté some vegetables!
Scoot the browned tofu to one side of the skillet. Drizzle oil on the empty side.
Add onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Sauté for a couple minutes.
Then incorporate everything, and sauté for a minute or two more.
Once the onion is fragrant, add the following:
- Ancho chili powder
- Granulated onion
- Pinch of salt
The kale will quickly wilt as it comes into contact with the heat of the pan.
The water helps the kale to steam a bit. And it aids the spices incorporating through the scramble and not getting stuck in one spot.
Once the kale has softened, add kala namak and nutritional yeast.
Serve the tofu scramble on plates. Then finish with fresh avocado.
Make it your own
You can make this vegan tofu scramble your own by varying the ingredients and amounts.
Vary the veggies
Tofu scramble is similar to a stir-fry in that almost any vegetable in your crisper drawer will work.
Make this recipe with the vegetables listed. Or put together your own combo in roughly equal amounts as to what’s listed here.
Just remember that some vegetables take longer to cook than others.
So if you have denser vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, or broccoli, you will need to cook those longer.
Vary the seasonings
If you don’t have or don’t enjoy any of the seasonings, just leave them out.
- Ancho chili powder can be replaced with any chili powder blend.
- Sweet paprika can be replaced with hot or smoked.
- Kala namak can be replaced with table salt.
- Add a dash of hot sauce for heat to the finished scramble
Tofu scramble is packed with vegetables. So you could easily eat it all on its own as a meal.
It also goes well with any of the following side dishes:
Enjoy it in a breakfast burrito
Tofu scramble is also really nice in a vegan breakfast burrito.
Simply roll the scramble into a warmed tortilla.
Or if you like a crispy burrito, air fry it for about 8 to 10 minutes until crisp. Or bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Breakfast burritos are especially nice with some kind of potatoes inside. Use leftover breakfast potatoes, hashbrown patties, or tater tots.
How to store & reheat
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
It will keep for about 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave until warm.
Tofu scramble with kale & avocado (vegan)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or other neutral flavored oil, divided
- 10 ounces vacuum-packed super firm tofu*
- ½ onion chopped medium
- ½ bell pepper red, orange, or yellow, chopped medium
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 to 3 leaves kale removed from ribs, chopped (About 2 cups loosely packed)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kala namak black salt**
- 1 avocado pitted & sliced
- Bring a skillet to medium heat with ½ teaspoon oil.
- Use your hands to crumble the tofu block into the skillet. Scatter it evenly across the skillet. Then don't move it for about four minutes, so that it can get nice & brown. Then flip the tofu with a spatula, and let it sit for about 3 more minutes, so that it can brown more.
- Move the browned tofu to one side of the skillet. Then put the remaining ½ teaspoon of oil onto the empty side of the skillet. Put onions, bell pepper, and garlic onto the empty spot. Saute for a couple minutes. Then incorporate it with the tofu, and saute for a minute or two more, until the onions are fragrant and softened.
- Add kale, water, cumin, ancho chili powder, granulated onion, paprika, and a pinch of salt to the pan. Combine with a spatula, moving it around the pan for even combining of the spices. The kale will wilt and soften as it comes into contact with heat.
- Cook for a couple minutes more and turn off the heat. Sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes and kala namak on the scramble and combine.
- Transfer the tofu scramble evenly onto four plates. Top each portion of scramble with sliced avocado.
Content updated January 29, 2023. Originally posted September 2017.