Today I’m sharing a recipe for vegan double decker tacos with soft and hard shells plus refried and black beans. It’s a satisfying vegan dinner the whole family will adore.
If I could only eat one food for the rest of time, I’d go with tacos. Rife with possibilities, you can stuff them with anything.
There are so many options with tacos that the only difficult part is choosing which kind you’ll have.
Soft tortilla? Hard corn shell? Do you want refried beans slathered inside, or maybe spicy black beans?
Vegan double decker tacos
With today’s recipe for vegan double decker tacos, you don’t have to choose. You get it all in one cozy bite.
First, you spread homemade refried beans on a soft tortilla. Then you stick a hard corn shell inside. Fill it with spicy black beans, and add all of the usual suspects like lettuce, tomatoes, and guacamole.
It’s as if the wheat tortilla just has to give that hard corn shell a big hug.
Take a bite and enjoy how the pillowy softness of the soft tortilla is quickly followed by the hard crunch of the inner shell. It is one of my favorite texture combinations.
I started eating double decker tacos while I was in high school. They were sold at Taco John’s, a fast food chain, where it’s called a Taco Bravo. I’d order them with a side of potato olés, which are similar to tater tots.
In the days when I worked at the mall selling bulk candy and balloons, Taco John’s was in my regular mall food court rotation.
Now you can enjoy those flavors at home – fully veganized.
Spicy beans, crisp vegetables, and the crackling crunch of the inner taco shell makes for a fully satisfying and filling meal.
And hey, if you want to throw some tater tots in the air fryer to go with it, they would not go amiss.
In a rush? If you don’t have time to make two different bean spreads, use guacamole for the outer layer instead of refried beans. Then it’s a double guac tac.
See how easy it is to make vegan refried beans in this video!
Vegan double decker tacos with black and refried beans
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees. Put the hard corn shells on a baking sheet and warm in the oven for 3-5 minutes, until crisp.
- In a skillet, warm each wheat tortilla one at a time, flipping once. Move each warmed tortilla to its own plate.
- Slather each wheat tortilla with refried beans.
- Place one hard corn shell inside of each wheat tortilla and wrap the tortilla around it, so that the refried beans are sandwiched between each of them.
- Stuff each corn shell with a couple spoonfuls of spicy black beans, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, and any optional toppings. Serve immediately.