Veggie wraps recipe includes warm chickenless tenders, crisp vegetables, briny vegan feta, and tangy tahini dressing. Quick, convenient, and filling. Ready in just 25 minutes!
Veggie wraps with chick’n tenders have been a favorite in my house for many months now.
Vegan chicken strips are a freezer staple around here. And tortillas are always on hand. So this has quickly become an easy & delicious lunch that I make about once a week. And it always sounds good!
Vegan chicken strips are cooked in the air fryer (or in the oven, if you prefer). Then they’re rolled into tortillas with bell pepper slices, romaine, non-dairy feta, and a drizzle of tahini sauce.
What kind of vegan chicken strips should I use?
For this veggie wraps recipe, I use Trader Joe’s chickenless tenders. They’re high on my list of favorite Trader Joe’s vegan products. And they’re cheaper than Gardein.
However, Gardein chick’n tenders are also a good choice. I’ve heard that Aldi also has vegan chick’n strips. Feel free to use your favorite brand.
Or for another option, use falafel – homemade or store-bought.
A spoonful of non-dairy feta takes this wrap up a notch, and adds to its addictive quality.
I recommend Herbivorous Butcher feta, which is made from almonds, or Violife feta, which you can find in natural grocery stores.
If you’d prefer to go the homemade route, make my marinated cashews. They have a briny quality that works well here.
Lemon tahini sauce
This is one of my favorite all-purpose sauces. It has just four ingredients. And two of them are water and salt! A very pantry-friendly recipe.
Keep in mind that tahini brands vary in their thickness. So it’s best to start with a smaller amount of water, stir, and then add more as needed. The sauce should be thick like ranch dressing.
To make the lemon tahini sauce:
Stir tahini, lemon juice, water, and salt in a bowl until smooth.
How to make this wrap
Follow the package instructions on your preferred brand of vegan chicken strips. Or cook them in the air fryer.
Air fry at 400 degrees for 13 minutes. Flip them and cook two minutes more.
The breading easily comes off the strips if you move them too soon. Wait until they are pretty much done and look very brown and crisp around the edges before you flip them. After flipping, finish them on the other side for a couple minutes more.
Warm tortillas in a skillet or pop them into the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Fill each tortilla with romaine lettuce, bell pepper slices, non-dairy feta, and vegan chicken strips. Finish with a drizzle of the tahini sauce, and roll them up.
Make it your own
Veggie wraps are rife with possibilities for personalization. Add any of the following:
- Spinach instead of romaine
- Kalamata or Castelvetrano olives
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green or yellow onion
What to serve with them
These wraps are pretty filling on their own, so you don’t necessarily need a side. However, you can easily round them out with oven baked french fries, tater tots, or any of the following options:
- Easy spinach salad
- Broccolini with garlic & kale
- Avocado caprese salad
- Roasted cauliflower
- Israeli couscous salad
Vegan chick'n veggie wrap with tahini sauce
For the chick'n wraps
- 8 vegan chick'n strips
- 4 tortillas I recommend whole wheat
- 4 romaine leaves
- 1/2 bell pepper sliced thin
- 1/4 cup non-dairy feta
For tahini sauce
- 3 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch salt
For the chick'n wraps
- Follow the instructions on the bag to make vegan chick'n strips, or use the air fryer. To air fry, put all of the strips into the air fryer basket in an even layer. Air fry at 400 degrees for 13 minutes, until the strips are getting brown and crisp. Then flip with a spatula and air fry for 2 more minutes.
- Warm the tortillas one by one in a warm skillet for a couple minutes on each side until all of the tortillas are warm and pliable. Keep them on a plate covered in a clean dish towel to keep them warm until ready for use.Or warm them piled on a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Top each tortilla with a leaf of lettuce, sliced bell pepper, two vegan chick'n strips, a Tablespoon of non-dairy feta, and a drizzle of tahini sauce. Roll each tortilla burrito-style and serve.
To make tahini sauce
- In a medium sized bowl, combine tahini, 2 Tablespoons of water, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. If the mixture is too thick, slowly add in additional water until it has the consistency of a thick ranch dressing.
- Taste and add the final teaspoon of lemon juice, if you'd prefer it to be more sour.