Chickpea tacos are one of my all-time favorite meals. Cozy and warming chickpeas are a step out of the ordinary from the usual black or pinto beans. These tacos are a real crowd pleaser.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 tacos
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped in even medium pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 15 ounce can), drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1/2 lime about 1 Tablespoon or 1 Tablespoon of water
- 1/4 cup water plus additional if needed
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- 6 taco shells or tortillas
- 1 cup green leaf lettuce roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 batch guacamole
- Optional toppings: cilantro, jalapeño peppers, hot sauce
Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
In a skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil to a medium heat. Set a tablespoon of the onions aside to use as a topping and mince them. Add the remaining onions and garlic to the skillet. Sauté for 5 minutes, until they are fragrant and translucent.
Add chickpeas, lime juice, water, ancho chili powder, paprika, cumin, and a pinch of salt to skillet. Saute for 10 minutes until heated through. If the chickpeas become dry and the spices start sticking to the pan, lower heat and add a tablespoon or two of water and combine to deglaze the pan. Smash some of the chickpeas with a fork for texture, and so that they don't roll out of the tacos. Taste for salt and add more if necessary. Remove from heat.
Put the shells or tortillas on a baking sheet and heat in the oven for 3-5 minutes until warm.
Remove the shells or tortillas from the oven. Fill each shell or tortilla with the chickpea mixture, some of the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, guacamole, and any optional toppings like cilantro, jalapeño peppers, or hot sauce.
Calories: 111kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 180mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1.3mg