The best vegan potato salad
The best vegan potato salad? Whip up a batch and taste it for yourself! Bring this classic side dish to your summer picnics, potlucks, and any event that is improved by potatoes (i.e. all of them). This recipe serves 4, but it's easy to double or triple.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes peeled & chopped into roughly 1-inch pieces
- 6 Tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 3 green onions sliced with ends removed (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 Tablespoons diced dill pickles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill pickle juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons stoneground mustard
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt + extra for boiling water
- Pinch dried dill about 1/8 teaspoon
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Optional: A handful of chopped chives for garnish
Fill a pot three quarters full of water, add a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Carefully add chopped potatoes to the water. Cook the potatoes on a low boil for 10 - 12 minutes, until the potatoes are just a tiny bit past al dente. (They should still have bite, so that they mostly keep their shape in the potato salad. However, a little bit of creaminess is good. Just don't let them get to mashed potatoes territory.) Start checking on the potatoes at 10 minutes, and drain when they have reached the right consistency. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine vegan mayonnaise, green onions, diced dill pickles, dill pickle juice, stoneground mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and dried dill. Add the drained potatoes to the bowl and use a spoon to fully combine. Taste for salt and add more if necessary. Sprinkle paprika on top, cover, and refrigerate until cool.
Before serving, garnish with chopped chives (optional).
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 278mg | Potassium: 980mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 14.6mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2.1mg