Vegan breakfast quesadilla
This recipe delivers all of the flavor of a diner-style Denver omelette but in handheld form. It's stuffed with eggy tofu, diced onion, bell pepper slices, spinach leaves, and vegan cheese.
Servings: 1 people
- 3 ounces super firm tofu from vacuum-packed package
- ½ teaspoon organic canola oil
- ⅛ teaspoon kala namak (black salt), or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon granulated onion or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes or to taste
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- ¼ cup shredded non-dairy cheddar cheese or a few cheese slices
- Few thin slices red bell pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons diced onion
- 3 or 4 baby spinach leaves
- Guacamole (optional topping)
- Salsa (optional topping)
- Cilantro (garnish)
Cut two slices of tofu from a vacuum-packed block of super firm tofu. The slices should be ¼ inch to ½ inch thick. (Tofu comes in 10 to 20 ounce blocks. Put the rest of the tofu in a covered container and refrigerate for other uses.)
Bring a non-stick skillet to a medium heat with oil. Cook the tofu slabs for about three minutes on each side, until slightly brown. While cooking, sprinkle both sides of the tofu with kala namak, granulated onion, and nutritional yeast flakes. After the tofu has browned on both sides, set them aside on a plate.
Leave the skillet at a medium heat, and put a whole wheat tortilla in it. On half of the tortilla, sprinkle shredded cheese, red bell pepper slices, diced onion, spinach, and eggy tofu. Finally top them with the remaining cheese pieces.
Fold the tortilla in half and continue cooking until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is evenly browned on both sides. (If the tortilla has browned completely before the cheese melts, turn off the heat, and cover the skillet with a lid for a couple of minutes.)
Cut the quesadilla into two or three even pieces and serve with salsa and/or guacamole. Garnish with cilantro (optional).
I prefer vacuum-packed tofu because it doesn't have to be pressed first. If you're using water-packed tofu, it will need to be pressed before using. Here's more information on how to press tofu.
Vary the quesadilla by:
- Choosing a different style of non-dairy cheese (pepper jack, smoked provolone or smoked gouda)
- Adding plant-based proteins like vegan ham, seitan bacon, sausage, pastrami, or black beans
- Changing the vegetables: Add sauteed mushrooms, cooked potato, and/or cilantro
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 625mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 656IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 3mg