Pumpkin oatmeal with candied pecans
Here's a warm and cozy start to the day! Fill up with pumpkin oatmeal, dotted with candied pecans. If you like, you can add a splash of non-dairy milk to the finished oatmeal.
Servings: 1 person
In a small pot, bring water to a boil with a pinch of salt.
Stir in rolled oats. Lower heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, until the oatmeal has thickened.
During the last few minutes of cooking, stir in canned pumpkin, maple syrup, and a dash of cinnamon.
Once it has reached your desired level of thickness, remove the oatmeal from the stove & put it in a bowl. If desired, add a splash of non-dairy milk.
Garnish with a small handful of candied pecans & another sprinkle of cinnamon.
It's easy to personalize this oatmeal to suit your tastes.
- Instead of canned pumpkin, use any homemade puréed pumpkin, winter squash, or sweet potatoes
- While cooking the oatmeal, add sliced banana, chocolate chips, and/or a spoonful of nut butter
- Add more maple syrup for extra sweetness
- Add a splash of non-dairy milk to the finished bowl for extra creaminess
- Instead of candied pecans, finish with roasted pistachios or pumpkin seeds
How to store & reheat
Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 3 to 5 days.
To reheat, add a splash of water or non-dairy milk and stir. Microwave until heated.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4669IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg