Of all of the recipes on Cadry’s Kitchen, the most popular is my Creamy Cauliflower Queso. I’ve been making this queso for years.
Unlike some heavy, weigh-you-down quesos, this one gets its creamy, velvety texture from cauliflower and Great Northern beans. (Cannellini beans will also work!) Nutritional yeast flakes and miso paste give it cheesiness and a rich depth of flavor.
Ladled over baked fries or used as a dip, guests would never know that there’s cauliflower hidden inside of it!
It comes together in just about 20 minutes and is so easy to make! (FYI: It also freezes and thaws well if you want to make some now and save the rest for future gatherings like the Super Bowl!)
So that’s why I am so excited to have a new video to share with you of how to make this Creamy Cauliflower Queso! It’s in the recipe box below.
You can see for yourself how simple it is to make. And I hope you’ll be inspired to get in the kitchen and try it for yourself.
David and I had such a great time filming this demonstration, and I really hope that you’ll enjoy it. If you do, consider subscribing to my YouTube channel to keep up with all of my new videos!
This kid-friendly queso is wonderful on tortilla chips or spread inside quesadillas. Kristy from Keepin’ It Kind used it for nacho potatoes and River from Wing-It Vegan made a mouthwatering Chili Con Queso.
And if you’re looking for more ideas of where to use the Cauliflower Queso, look no further than Vegan Yack Attack!
When I was in Los Angeles recently, I was able to meet up with Jackie from Vegan Yack Attack, along with Chris and Kristy from Keepin’ It Kind.
We discussed the LA vegan food scene, reminisced about Vida Vegan Con, and bonded over blog-talk. It was so awesome to catch up with these wonderful people.
And today I’m guest posting on Vegan Yack Attack with a recipe for Southwestern Chili Cheese Burritos.
The filling burritos are made with Spicy Southwestern Chili, a layer of quinoa, and a generous helping of Cauliflower Queso.
While you’re there, you’ll want to check out all of Jackie’s enticing recipes! And if you like the video, it would make me so happy if you’d share it with friends and spread the queso love!
Creamy Cauliflower Queso
- ½ head cauliflower approximately 2 heaping cups, broken into florets
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- ½ small yellow onion approximately ¾ cup, diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup non-dairy milk + up to ¼ cup more if necessary Rice milk is my favorite.
- 1 cup Great Northern Beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon white miso paste
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce Trader Joe’s brand is my favorite
- 1 Tablespoon pickled jalapeno slices
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss cauliflower florets in 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and lay evenly across a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Roast cauliflower for 20 minutes, stopping once to toss for even roasting.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, heat a skillet under medium heat, add remaining 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil to pan. Sauté onions and garlic in pan for 5 or 6 minutes, until very soft, fragrant, and translucent. (Turn heat to low if they start to stick.)
- In a high speed blender, combine roasted cauliflower, onion and garlic mixture, and the remaining ingredients. (Be careful not to be too heavy handed with the salt since miso, hot sauce, and pickled jalapeno slices are already salty.) Blend until the queso is completely smooth and velvety. If you’d prefer a more liquidy queso, add up to ¼ cup more of non-dairy milk and blend until fully combined.