Rice crispy treat baskets are easy and fun to make. Fill them with raspberries, chocolate chips, or small candies. Your guests can finish off the dishes themselves!
When I was a small child May first meant May Day.
With construction paper in hand, I’d fold paper baskets, and fill them with treats. Then I’d go to the doors of my closest friends and family members.
I’d place a basket on the porch, knock on the door, and run away as quickly as I could before they answered.
As fun as it was to hear the doorbell ring and go to the front porch only to find a basket where a guest was expected, it was even more fun to be in the giving position, running as fast as you could, so that your good deed wouldn’t be caught until it was revealed at the bottom of the basket.
Inside of the basket, underneath the candies and sweets, there was a small note inside letting the recipient know who had gifted them a springtime treat.
I don’t hear about a lot of people celebrating with May baskets these days. But last year my best friend’s daughter brought me one. Looking at the item inside, it’s pretty clear she’s got me pegged on the kind of foods that get my gears going.
Today a May basket-themed recipe is coming to the table. Made with crispy rice treats and filled with raspberries, your guests can finish off the dishes themselves!
How to make rice crispy treat baskets
Use small bowls as the basket molds.
First I coat the inside of the bowl with a bit of canola oil. Then I shape the still-warm crispy rice and marshmallow mixture inside.
I used Nature’s Path Organic Crispy Rice cereal, which is also gluten-free. The marshmallows are from Sweet & Sara. I tweaked their online recipe to adjust for the amount of marshmallows I had left after yesterday’s Thanksgiving Kebabs.
(Update: Sweet & Sara are no longer making marshmallows. Use Dandies instead for your vegan marshmallow needs. Or Trader Joe’s sometimes has vegan marshmallows available too.)
I also opted to use canola oil instead of non-dairy butter. There was no taste difference. These taste exactly like the rice crispy treats that you grew up eating, but with a wonderful vanilla flavor from the marshmallows.
Crispy Rice Baskets
- Lightly oil three very small bowls with canola oil and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, bring 1 Tablespoon canola oil to a medium heat and add the marshmallows. Stir constantly until the marshmallows have gotten melty in the pan, about five minutes.
- Put the Crispy Rice cereal in a large mixing bowl and add the melted marshmallows. Combine the mixture with a spoon. (Using your hands also works well. Feel free to oil them, if necessary, to stop from sticking.)
- Continue until the crispy rice and marshmallow mixture is totally combined, and then line the bowls with the mixture, pressing into the sides.
- Roll three small portions into handles and press them into the top of each basket.
- Refrigerate the baskets in their bowls for fifteen minutes.
- When ready to serve, carefully remove the baskets from their bowls and fill them with the filling of your choosing.