This 5-ingredient blueberry banana smoothie recipe is wonderfully hydrating and refreshing. Its bright purple color is sure to entice.
With a thick and creamy texture and lightly sweet flavor, it goes down easy. This dairy free drink is great for breakfast or a snack!
There’s a reason that blueberries are known as a superfood.
These tiny little pearls of goodness are loaded with antioxidants, fiber, potassium, and vitamins C and K.
I love snacking on blueberries by the handful in summer months.
They’re also a delicious & healthy addition to fruit smoothies all year ‘round.
Frozen blueberries work in tandem with frozen bananas for a smoothie that is wonderfully creamy.
Along with spinach, chia seeds, and non-dairy milk, it’s a simple drink that comes together in minutes.
Have it as a sippable breakfast on the go. Or enjoy it as a post-workout snack.
Here are the ingredients you will need for this berry banana smoothie.
Frozen banana: Frozen banana gives the smoothie a thick, creamy texture that you just don’t get otherwise. It also provides sweetness.
Finally, it’s a great way to make sure overripe bananas don’t go to waste.
Chia seeds: Chia seeds are chock-full of omega 3’s.
And they add a thick, whippy viscosity to smoothies.
Baby spinach: A couple handfuls of baby spinach add vitamins A, C, K, folate, fiber, iron, and potassium.
I like to keep a bag of pre-washed baby spinach around for ease. But any spinach you like will work here.
Frozen blueberries: Frozen blueberries are the star of the show here.
By using frozen blueberries, the smoothie is extra cold and icy.
If you’d prefer to replace with fresh, that’s fine too. But you may want to add a few ice cubes to the smoothie for icier texture and cooler temperature.
Non-dairy milk: Any type of non-dairy milk you enjoy will work here.
Cashew milk, almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk are all good options.
I recommend the unsweetened variety, because the fruits are sweet enough without adding more.
If you don’t have non-dairy milk around, water will work.
Step by step instructions
Start by peeling a ripe banana. Break the banana into chunks.
Freeze in a freezer bag or other freezer proof container.
When you’re ready to make your blueberry smoothie, put the following in a high-speed blender.
- Non-dairy milk
- Chia seeds
- Frozen banana chunks
- Baby spinach
- Frozen blueberries
Blend until smooth.
The size of bananas and handfuls of spinach can vary.
So if your smoothie is too thick, add another splash of non-dairy milk and blend.
Make it your own
Make this banana blueberry smoothie your own by varying the ingredients.
- Replace the blueberries with strawberries, peaches, mangoes, or cherries
- Omit the spinach for the prettiest, brightest blue color
- Replace spinach with a handful of kale or collard greens
- Add a few ice cubes for icy, whippy texture
- Add ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or use vanilla non-dairy milk
- Replace chia seeds with flaxseeds
- For a smoothie bowl, use less liquid
- For a thinner smoothie, add more liquid
- Add a spoonful of your favorite nut butter or protein powder for protein (Almond butter is especially nice!)
Tips for the best smoothies
Use frozen banana for the best creamy texture that is almost shake like.
Simply break peeled banana into chunks. Then freeze in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container.
You can use whole or ground chia seeds.
If you have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix, you can put whole chia seeds right into the blender. They’ll blend without issue.
However, if you’re using a standard blender, you’ll either want to buy ground seeds or grind them in a coffee grinder first.
For the best blending, start with the liquid at the bottom.
Since that’s where the blade is located, it makes it easier for the blender to start working fast.
This blueberry smoothie is best when enjoyed right away.
However, if necessary it can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for a day or two.
If there is separation, just give it a stir before drinking.
More smoothie recipes
Variety is the spice of life!
Keep the smoothie love going with these delicious recipes.
- Very cherry smoothie
- Mango banana smoothie
- Peanut butter banana smoothie
- Sweet potato smoothie
- Pumpkin smoothie
- Chocolate peanut butter smoothie
Blueberry banana smoothie with spinach
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (plus more if needed)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 banana frozen in chunks
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- ⅔ cup blueberries frozen
- If using a non high speed blender, grind the chia seeds in a coffee or spice grinder before using. If using a high speed blender, you can skip this step.
- Add the non-dairy milk, chia seeds, chunks of frozen banana, baby spinach, and frozen blueberries to blender. Blend until smooth. If the smoothie is too thick, add another splash of non-dairy milk & blend to incorporate.
- Pour smoothie into a glass & enjoy right away.
Content updated June 23, 2022. Originally posted March 23, 2015.