Roasted delicata squash with rosemary is an easy vegan side dish for Thanksgiving or any random weeknight. Gluten-free.
Pumpkin gets the fanfare, but delicata squash is easily my favorite.
This oblong, cream colored squash with green stripes is the one squash that goes into my shopping basket regularly in the cool months of fall and winter.
(It’s also nice to have around, because like other winter squashes, it’s very shelf stable. You can keep it in a cool, dry place for up to three months.)
Why is delicata squash the best?
It’s easy to cut.
Delicata squash tends to be smaller in size than a lot of other squashes. So you don’t need to be a weightlifter to press a chef’s knife through it.
You don’t have to peel it.
With delicata, you can eat the skin. No worries about trying to cut off the cumbersome peel.
Plus, that means you get added texture, because it’s not just soft. The peel gets a little bit of chew to it.
It can easily go into savory dishes like a champ.
Delicata is a mildly sweet squash that’s reminiscent of sweet potato.
Every Thanksgiving, I add it to my autumnal delicata squash salad with another seasonal favorite – persimmons.
It’s great sliced thin in vegan polenta stacks with cashew cream.
I’ve even used it in tacos and as a pizza topping.
Serve delicata squash instead of potatoes with vegan breakfast tacos. Of course, don’t forget the avocado!
Delicata squash is wonderful on a pizza with browned Field Roast apple sage sausages, caramelized onions, and sautéed kale.
It’s also a fun addition to a fall-themed vegan cheeseboard.
How do you prepare delicata squash?
To prepare roasted delicata squash, cut off both ends.
Slice it in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds, just like you do with your Halloween jack o’ lantern.
Then cut the delicata squash into half moons.
Throw the slices on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Toss it with oil, rosemary, and salt.
Pop it into the oven for 20 minutes. Flip the slices. Then roast for 10 minutes more.
Roasted delicata squash is an easy side dish for Thanksgiving, as well as all fall & winter long.
Roasted delicata squash with rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the top and bottom off of the delicata squash, and then cut it in half length-wise. Use a spoon to remove the seeds. Then cut the squash into half moon slices, about a half inch thick. Make sure the pieces are equal in size, so that they cook evenly. Move the squash slices to a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the squash slices, and rub it over the pieces of squash. Spread the delicata squash evenly across the baking sheet. (You don't want the pieces to overlap, or they won't brown as well.)
- Sprinkle the rosemary over the squash, breaking the dried rosemary with your fingers as you spread it. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the squash as well.
- Move the baking sheet to the oven and roast the squash for 20 minutes, flip the slices, and roast for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Originally posted October 2009. Content and photos updated October 2019.