A Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich makes everything old new again. It’s packed with slices of turkey-style seitan, orange cranberry sauce, and avocado. Then it’s finished on toasted bread. So much crunch & flavor in every bite!
No holiday is more associated with leftovers or repurposing than Thanksgiving. It’s known for plentiful amounts of food, often more than can be eaten in a single day.
Still, there comes a point when the same plates of mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce can get a bit tired.
And that’s when it’s time for the leftovers sandwich.
A leftovers sandwich takes the holiday roast and reinvigorates it by putting it into a crisp, toasted sandwich.
This sandwich is stuffed with:
This holiday sandwich is piled with the flavors of savory seitan, tart and sweet orange cranberry sauce, and fatty avocado. Then it’s toasted in a skillet until crisp.
Make it your own
Obviously, your only limits are the leftovers that remain in your refrigerator! So make this dish your own by topping it with any of the following Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich ideas:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Cashew gravy with chestnuts
- Vegan stuffing with chestnuts
- Green bean casserole
- A handful of fresh spinach
- Sliced red onion
Which meat-free turkey should I use?
This sandwich is great with any of the meatless turkey options on the market. You can use:
- Herbivorous Butcher seitan turkey
- Field Roast celebration roast
- Gardein holiday roast
- Trader Joe’s Turkeyless stuffed roast
You’ll just need a few slices for this sandwich.
Or if you’re all out of holiday roast, use a few seitan deli slices. They’re sold at any natural grocery store.
What should I serve with it?
Serve it with any of the leftovers you aren’t piling into the sandwich. Here I’ve chosen steamed green beans and leftover mashed potatoes.
You may be saying to yourself, “Wow, they have meatless options for everything nowadays!” And it’s really true.
Check out these pictures of David & I breaking the “wishbone” last year at Thanksgiving. Haha!
I hope your holiday meals delight this season. From the first bite to the very last…
Vegan Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich with avocado
- 2 to 4 thin slices of vegan holiday roast Trader Joe's turkey-less roast, Field Roast celebration roast, Gardein holiday roast, or Herbivorous Butcher vegan turkey
- 2 slices bread
- Thin layer vegan butter
- Thin layer vegan mayo
- 1/4 avocado cut into slices
- Thin layer orange cranberry sauce
- Bring a non-stick skillet to a medium heat. Put slices of vegan holiday roast on one side of the skillet to warm. (If the roast is already warm, you can skip this step.) Cook for a minute or two, and then flip the slices to warm the other side.
- Slather vegan butter on one side of a piece of bread. On the other side, put a layer of vegan mayo. Place the bread into the skillet with the roast slices, butter side down. Add slices of avocado to the bread. Put the warmed slices of holiday roast on top of the avocado.
- On the second piece of bread, put a thin layer of vegan butter on one side and orange cranberry sauce on the other. Add it to the sandwich with the butter side facing out. Once the sandwich is brown and toasty on one side, flip it, and continue cooking until it is brown & toasty on that side too.
- Serve with sweet potato fries, chips, or salad.
More ways to repurpose Thanksgiving leftovers
- Put leftover cranberry salsa over sweet potato tacos with black beans.
- Use any remaining turkey-style seitan or holiday roast in a vegan pot pie.
Content, recipe, and photos updated November 2019. Originally posted November 2017.