A Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich makes everything old new again.
It’s packed with slices of turkey-style seitan, orange cranberry sauce, and avocado. Then it’s finished on toasted bread.
So much crunch & flavor in every bite!
No holiday is more associated with leftovers or repurposing than Thanksgiving.
It’s known for plentiful amounts of food, often more than can be eaten in a single day.
Still, there comes a point when the same plates of mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce can get a bit tired.
And that’s when it’s time for the leftovers sandwich.
A leftovers sandwich takes the holiday roast and reinvigorates it by putting it into a crisp, toasted sandwich.
This sandwich is stuffed with:
- Seitan chicken or leftover vegan holiday roast
- Orange cranberry sauce
- Eggless mayo
- Toasted bread
This holiday sandwich is piled with the flavors of savory seitan, tart and sweet orange cranberry sauce, and fatty avocado.
Then it’s toasted in a skillet until crisp.
Make it your own
Obviously, your only limits are the leftovers that remain in your refrigerator!
So make this dish your own by topping it with any of the following Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich ideas:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Easy vegan turkey gravy (Great for dipping!)
- Vegan stuffing with chestnuts
- Green bean casserole (from Fat Free Vegan)
- A handful of fresh spinach
- Sliced red onion
Which meat-free turkey should I use?
This sandwich is great with homemade seitan.
It has a wonderful toothsome texture and the flavors of oregano and basil.
Or you can use any of the meatless turkey options on the market.
- Herbivorous Butcher seitan turkey
- Field Roast celebration roast
- Gardein holiday roast
- Trader Joe’s Turkeyless stuffed roast
You can even use vegan deli slices like Tofurky for a year ’round option!
What should I serve with it?
Serve it with any of the leftovers you aren’t piling into the sandwich.
Here I’ve chosen steamed green beans and leftover mashed potatoes.
It would also be great with any of the following:
- Vegan poutine
- Lemony potatoes
- Fall salad with candied pecans
- Mustard mashed potatoes
- Delicata squash salad
For more ways to repurpose holiday leftovers, check out these Thanksgiving leftovers recipes.
Vegan Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich with avocado
- Bring a non-stick skillet to a medium heat. Put slices of seitan chicken or vegan holiday roast on one side of the skillet to warm. (If the roast is already warm, you can skip this step.) Cook for a minute or two, and then flip the slices to warm the other side.
- Slather vegan butter on one side of a piece of bread. On the other side, put a layer of vegan mayo. Place the bread into the skillet with the roast slices, butter side down. Add slices of avocado to the bread. Put the warmed slices of holiday roast on top of the avocado.
- On the second piece of bread, put a thin layer of vegan butter on one side and orange cranberry sauce on the other. Add it to the sandwich with the butter side facing out. Once the sandwich is brown and toasty on one side, flip it, and continue cooking until it is brown & toasty on that side too.
- Serve with sweet potato fries, chips, or salad.
Content updated October 26, 2022. Originally posted November 25, 2017.