If you love kale & guacamole as much as I do, you’re going to love it when they get together in this kale guacamole. Vegan & gluten-free.
When I visited Whole Foods recently during a little vegan Omaha tour, I made an exciting discovery that paired two of my all-time favorite ingredients – avocados and kale.
They put them together, along with onions and garlic, for a spin on guacamole called guac-kale-mole.
You know I love a good food pun almost as much as I love avocado itself.
David and I easily finished off our tub of kale guacamole. And I was set on making my own version when I got home.
(You can see how I typically make guacamole in this easy guacamole recipe.)
So on a recent Taco Tuesday, along with our favorite chickpea tacos, I made kale guacamole. Then I served it with chips.
It was every bit as delicious as the one I first tried in Omaha. Actually, even better since it was fresh and full of chunky avocado like I like.
If you’re a kale fan like I am, you’re sure to love this one.
The kale in this guacamole blends into the flavors beautifully without dominating. It just adds a little somethin’-somethin’ in taste and bite.
Guac-Kale-Mole (Kale Guacamole)
- 1 leaf curly kale with rib removed, roughly chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon onion roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro leaves
- 5-6 pickled jalapeño slices roughly chopped
- 2 ripe avocados pits removed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lime juice freshly-squeezed
- Pinch salt
- In a food processor, process kale for a few seconds until broken down.
- Add onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeño. Process for about 20 seconds until combined in small pieces.
- Scrape down the sides and add in the flesh of two avocados, one teaspoon of lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Blend until fully combined, stopping to scrape sides if necessary.
- Taste and add more lime juice or salt, if desired, and combine. Serve immediately with chips, tacos, burritos, or anywhere guacamole is needed.
One more thing! I am so excited to be over at Pickles & Honey today as part of Amanda’s 10 Questions series, in which she interviews bloggers on the topics of veganism, blogging, and happiness.
Pickles & Honey has been one of my favorite blogs for years. I love how Amanda covers such an interesting variety of subjects from food politics, to book and film reviews, to mouthwatering recipes, and maybe best of all, a regular photo series featuring her doggie family.
I’ve been enjoying all of the interviews Amanda has done so far, and so I was delighted when she asked me to take part. Pop over there and say hi!
Update: Meredith over at Kale Crusaders made the most adorable cartoon summation of this recipe. You owe it to yourself to check it out for yourself!