Summery spinach salad with strawberries includes spring onions, celery & pistachios. It’s a delightful light lunch. Serve it with grilled tofu or marinated lentils for a full meal. Vegan & gluten-free.
Because of their growing season, I associate strawberries with the best times of the year.
Even aside from their inherent juicy sweetness, strawberries have some very positive associations.
As they’re one of my all-time favorite fruits, our wedding cake had slivers of strawberries between the layers. And growing up, it wasn’t unusual for me to have strawberry shortcake as my birthday cake.
Spinach salad with strawberries
Even though strawberries are typically associated with desserts, don’t let that fool you. They can go into salads like a champ.
This summery spinach salad with strawberries highlights some of the best of the season. It includes spring onions, celery, and pistachios for a little nutty crunch.
It’s bright and light in all of the ways that you want when the temperatures are warm and the humidity is on the rise.
The salad is topped with a drizzling of homemade balsamic vinaigrette. The pungent tartness of the vinegar pairs particularly nicely with the ripeness of the berries.
You’ll likely have twice as much vinaigrette as you’ll need. However, it’s better to have too much than not enough. You can save the leftovers in the refrigerator for future salad endeavors.
(The oil will harden in the refrigerator. So set it out on the counter for about a half an hour before using again. Then give it a good shake.)
Oh, and don’t forget a little bowl of warmed Castelvetrano olives with lemon & garlic on the side.
Remember this spinach salad with strawberries for your summer potlucks and picnics.
When strawberries are in season, there’s no reason to limit them to sweets alone. Buy a pint of berries and get slicing.
Summery spinach salad with strawberries
For the salad
- 3 cups spinach Roughly 2 ounces of spinach. If the spinach is extra large, feel free to chop.
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1/2 cucumber quartered and sliced
- 1/2 heaping cup sliced strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons pistachios
To make salad
- Toss all of the ingredients in a large salad bowl. Serve with balsamic vinaigrette on the side, so that guests can top their own salads just before eating.
To make the balsamic vinaigrette
- Put the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, stoneground mustard, maple syrup, and salt into a bowl. Whisk with a fork or whisk until it has a thick viscosity. Serve right away or refrigerate for later use in a covered container. If the oil separates from the vinegar, just give it a good shake.