Tortilla pinwheels with buffalo hummus are a fun finger food option for potlucks, parties, and lunches. Loaded with fresh vegetables, they have plenty of flavor & crunch. Vegan & gluten free optional.
I did a survey on my Instagram Stories recently about the kinds of recipes people would like to see as we move into the hot days of summer. One answer came up again and again.
Easy recipes that don’t require turning on an oven.
I hear you loud & clear. And I’ll be keeping that in mind for the months ahead. (If you have other requests, let me know in the comments!)
So we’re going to start with a super easy appetizer or lunch recipe. This one repurposes my buffalo hummus dip into a handheld appetizer.
If you are a big fan of buffalo like I am, you’re going to love these tortilla pinwheels. They have that buffalo sauce flavor I crave, as well as crisp vegetables.
While buffalo-style appetizers are often on the heavy side, this one is surprisingly light.
It’s all rolled into a tortilla for fast finger food that goes over well with crowds.
Tortilla pinwheels are a fun option for graduation parties, potlucks, and picnics. They can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature.
But they’re not only for parties! They also make really convenient packed lunches. Serve them in pinwheels or leave them whole as a wrap.
How to make tortilla pinwheels with buffalo hummus
- Spread buffalo hummus onto each tortilla.
- Top with a few splashes of hot sauce, chopped romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, and cilantro or chives.
- Roll it up tightly. Cut into even bites about 2 inches in length.
- And serve!
Make these tortilla roll-ups your own:
Add your preferred chopped vegetables like thinly sliced cucumbers, red bell pepper, or spinach.
Add finely chopped vegan chicken – seitan, Soy Curls, or chick’n strips.
Instead of slicing into pinwheels, make it a wrap! I like mine burrito-style with a couple of hot-out-of-the-oven chickenless strips stuffed inside.
Serve with vegan blue cheese dressing as a dipping sauce. (Use store-bought or the recipe that is listed with the buffalo hummus.)
Not in the mood for buffalo? Use your preferred hummus, jalapeño cashew cheese spread, or non-dairy cream cheese.
If your tortillas are on the dry side, warm them in a dry skillet or quickly in the microwave to make them more pliable before rolling.
Tortilla pinwheels with buffalo hummus
- Spread a layer of buffalo hummus onto each tortilla. (I use about 3 Tablespoons per tortilla, but amounts will vary depending upon the size of the tortilla.) The tortillas will seal the best if you spread the hummus all the way to the edges.
- Add 3 or 4 splashes of hot sauce onto each tortilla.
- Now it's time to add the vegetable toppings. For easiest rolling, leave about an inch gap around the perimeter of the tortilla (i.e. don't put your fillings all the way out to the edge.) Sprinkle about a quarter cup romaine lettuce, two Tablespoons shredded carrots, and a Tablespoon cilantro or chives onto each tortilla. (Don't worry too much about the amounts being exact, but be wary of overfilling. If they are too full, they are harder to roll & prone to breakage.)
- Roll the tortillas as tightly as you can.** Use a serrated knife to evenly cut the tortillas into pinwheels, roughly 2 inches in length. Move onto serving platter.